Thursday, January 25, 2007

Are Gold Prices Rising?

No. This is not another investment blog (it seems that we have enough of them). I'd like to talk about Liquid Gold, or what we wine lover's call Sauternes. The real topic is the most difficult question I get asked as a wine consultant - "Is it worth it?"

When I was in college, I began to become interested in wine. I learned the fundamental principles of the snob - the only good wine is red wine, etc., etc. - most all of them were wrong. Being the inquisitive type, I researched more extensively on the subject of wine. Eventually, I cam across the concept of Botrytis Cinarea [BAW-TRITUS].

What? BAW-TRITUS...ahem...SIN-ER-REE-AH. Here's the big problem. From a biological standpoint - actually from the standpoint of a pure obsever - it's more disgusting than it sounds. So what is it? And what does this have to do with gold?

Wikipedia tells us that Botrytis Cinarea is:

Botrytis cinerea is a fungus that affects many plant species, although its most economically important hosts are wine grapes[citation needed]. In viticulture, it is commonly known as botrytis bunch rot; in horticulture, it is usually called grey mould or gray mold. The fungus gives rise to two different kinds of infections on grapes. The first, grey rot, is the result of consistently wet or humid conditions, and typically results in the loss of the affected bunches. The second, noble rot, occurs when drier conditions follow wetter, and can result in distinctive sweet dessert wines, such as Sauternes. The species name Botrytis cinerea is derived from the Latin for "grapes like ashes"; although poetic, the "grapes" disappointingly refers to the bunching of the fungal spores on their conidiophores, and "ashes" just refers to the greyish colour of the spores en masse. The fungus is usually referred to by its anamorph (asexual form) name, because the sexual phase is rarely observed. The teleomorph (sexual form) is an ascomycete, Botryotinia fuckeliana (see taxonomy box).

Let's rewind a bit. While "Is it worth it?" might be the most difficult question I get, the most frequent one is "How did you get in the wine industry?" Here's my answer...

I was in college in Chicago. I read about Botrytis. The descriptors made it sound amazing, in fact, at least one writer dubbed it Liquid Gold. I had to try it. So I took my bartending money and bought the cheapest Sauternes I could find - the only Sauternes I could find. It was about 25 bucks for the half bottle - not much in retrospect for a good bottle of Sauternes. I bought it before I went to bartend (looking back, it was likely an '83, a great vintage) and came home to my fraternity house, grabbed a bear and decided to go to sleep. I woke up a couple of hours later: I had to taste Botrytis, I had to taste Sauternes. Liquid Gold.

I said to myself "To hell with it", and there I was, in a Fraternity House in Chicago, uncorking a bottle of wine that would determine the future of my life. A "Brother" came downstairs as I sipped Liquid Gold with glee - at six AM.

...how does all of this tie in to the question "Is it worth it?"...if you are wondering, visit us tomorrow...

No comments: